Nuchev commits to the wellbeing of all animals in our care
Nuchev is committed to the humane treatment and fundamental obligations relating to the welfare of all animals under our care throughout their life.
Our focus on animal welfare is not only based on the Model Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals (The Goat-SCARM Report 32) but through well trained and experienced staff.
The commitment of our staff is not only important to the success of our operations but to the health and well-being of our goats.
Many of our staff have extensive experience within the agriculture sector and bring invaluable knowledge and experience to the company.
Staff training in Animal Welfare is complimented by ongoing instruction and guidance by our senior farm & management staff.
Care for our goats
* Our goats are monitored daily for their health and wellbeing
* The needs of all our goats are met by ensuring:
* They have adequate nutrition to sustain good health & vigor
* Access to sufficient quality water
* Social contact with other goats
* Sufficient space to move around
* Protection from predation
* Protection from pain, injury and disease
* Protection from extremes of climate which may be life threatening
* Precautions against the effects of natural disasters
* Safe & adequate handling facilities
* Animals needing additional care or treatments are placed into a recovery program, monitored & treated in accordance with veterinary guidelines.
* Our disease prevention includes all general animal health treatments as well as testing, vaccinations and procedures around Johnes Disease, Q Fever and CAE.
* As male goats are not used in the production of milk, Nuchev will keep a number of them for breeding, while the remainder will be grown to target weights for meat consumption in Australia and offshore. Nuchev is also continually looking at other methods of managing its male goat population, including the trialling of sexed semen that will reduce the number of male kids born.
* Disposal of any animal in our care is carried out in accordance with best practice procedures and under veterinarian supervision.
Research & Innovation
Nuchev places a significant importance on research & innovative science.
Our Animal Welfare Program Manager oversees research & implementation of our animal welfare practices.
We are continually developing and improving our management practices to optimize the welfare of all our goats.
Our goal is to maintain a high level of attention to our animal welfare
Continue to invest resources and people in researching, developing and implementing improved welfare systems & practices.
Become a leader in the dairy goat industry with excellent animal welfare practices